Earth Science Test
1.What is the largest of the 3 small objects in space?
a. Shooting stars
c. Minor planets
2.How many minor planets are there?
a. Several hundred
b.Over three thousand
3.What are several minor planets that have similar orbits?
4.What family of minor planets have nearly the same orbit as Jupiter?
a. Milky Way Galaxy
c. Martian Asteroids
5.In a catalogue of minor planets, the minor planet is preceded by a?
a. Circled number
b.Page number in the catalogue
c. Location of the planet in a map
6.What means starlike?
7.What are the 3 largest minor planets in the order of their discovery?
a. Juno, Ceres, Pallas
b.Pallas, Juno, Ceres
c. Ceres, Pallas, Juno
8.Why is it unlikely that an Apollo asteroid would strike the earth?
a. It’s not on the same plane as earth
b.It will explode before hitting earth
c. No one actually knows
9.Between what two major planets are most minor planets or asteroids located?
a. Earth and Venus
b.Uranus and Pluto
c. Mars and Jupiter
10. Minor planets are often named after?
Piazzi Comets Henke
Head Coma Olbers
Tail Nucleus Ices
Type I Halley Type II
Periodic Comet Enke’s Biela’s
11. When is Halley’s Comet expected to return next?
12. Comet’s that have elliptical orbits are called by what name?
13. Which comet has the shortest known period?
What are the 2 parts of a comet?
16. Which type of comet tail is composed mostly of dust?
17. What are often visible without a telescope?
What are the two parts of the head?
20. Which comet broke into two comets in 1846?
List three scientists that discovered minor planets?
24. Which type of tail forms rapidly as the comet approaches the sun?
25. What material from Halley’s Comet damaged probes sent to observe it?
26. Which type of tail is more curved?
27. Who was the first man to treat comets as ordinary bodies?
28. What consists of rocks, dust, and frozen materials?
29. What is a particle in space that orbits the sun?
30. What do you call a meteoroid that glows coming through the atmosphere?
31. What is a meteor seen by observers over a wide area?
32. What do you call meteors that come from random directions and fall at any time?
33. What type of meteor shower happens on August 12th?
34. What is another name for fireball?
35. When a fireball leaves a lighted trail it is called a?
36. What are meteoroids that fall through the atmosphere and reach the ground?
37. What are meteors in orbit that will fall to the earth?
38. What type of meteor shower happens on November 17th?
39. Why is it easier to see meteors after midnight?
What are three types of meteorites?
43. When studying meteorites what problem comes up concerning the age of the earth?
44. What do most scientists think the Tunguska Event was?
45. What type of meteorite is the most common?